General Seminary's mission, to educate and form leaders for the church in a changing world, has been a central focus throughout its long history. Chartered by General Convention in 1817, General's very name was chosen to reflect the intention of its founders: that it would serve the entire Episcopal Church. Church leaders, with a burst of national vision, conceived a theological institution that would belong to the whole Episcopal Church, where students from all parts of the country would come to prepare for ordination.
An important milestone occurred in 1819. Clement Clarke Moore, who would later become a professor at General, but who is best known as the author of the poem which begins, "Twas the night before Christmas," gave a large parcel of land, an apple orchard, to the Church on condition that a seminary be built there. The land stood on the west side of Manhattan close to the Hudson River. East Building, the Seminary's first home, was erected in 1827 and was joined in 1836, by West Building, built to house 60 students. The Seminary's location in New York City quickly proved to be a great asset and defining characteristic.
Throughout its history General has followed its mandate to be a seminary of the whole church, a vision that has broadened to include the ecumenical community, the Anglican Communion, the City of New York, our country, and our world. Toward the end of the 19th century Dean Eugene Augustus Hoffman began an ambitious building program, dubbed in the press as "Dean Hoffman's Grand Design."'
By erecting a series of stately brick buildings--dormitories, faculty apartments, and a classroom building--around the perimeter of the block, a magnificent quadrangle or "Close," after the fashion of English universities, was created. At its center was the jewel of the Dean's design, the Chapel of the Good Shepherd. Between the 1930's and 60's several other more modern buildings were added including a new library.
Since 1822 General has graduated over 7,000 men and women. Our worldwide alumni/ae now total approximately 2,400. GTS graduates serve primarily in the Episcopal Church. In recent decades an increasing number of GTS students are preparing for serving Christ as lay persons along side those who plan to be ordained.
Click here for a more detailed looked at General Seminary's interesting past.
Contact Us & Directions
The General Seminary is located in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City, on the west side of Manhattan, occupying the full city block between West 20th and West 21st Streets and between Ninth and Tenth Avenues. The entrance is on 21st Street halfway between Ninth and Tenth Avenues.
Click here for Directions to GTS.
You may contact the Seminary by the following means:
The General Theological Seminary
440 W. 21st Street
New York, NY 10011
Telephone: 212-243-5150 (Reception Desk operator will route your call)
Also feel free to send us an e-mail using this form.
The General Theological Seminary, at 175 Ninth Avenue, New York City, occupies the full block between 9th and 10th Avenues and between West 20th and West 21st Streets in Manhattan. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south-side of 21st Street. See map for our location.
Nearest subway stops are:
- for the Number 1 Train, the 23rd St. stop on Seventh Avenue (walk west on 23rd, turn left onto Ninth Avenue to 21st Street, then turn right onto 21st Street. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south (left) side of 21st Street.);
- for the C and E Trains, the 23rd St. stop on Eighth Avenue (walk west on 23rd, turn left onto Ninth Avenue to 21st Street, then turn right onto 21st Street. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south (left) side of 21st Street.).
From the North: From the George Washington Bridge, exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway/Westside Highway/Route 9 South to 23rd Street. Turn left onto 23rd Street, continuing to Ninth Avenue. Turn right onto Ninth Avenue to 21st Street, then turn right onto 21st Street. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south (left) side of 21st Street.
From the West:
- From the Lincoln Tunnel, exit on 40th Street, turn right onto Ninth Avenue. At 21st Street, turn right. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south (left) side of 21st Street.
- From the Holland Tunnel, follow uptown signs to exit on Hudson Street. Follow Hudson north for many blocks -- fifteen or more, but don't bother with counting them, just continue north on Hudson and stay on it as its name becomes 8th Avenue. Not long after, you'll notice that the cross-streets begin to be regularly numbered (14th, 15th, 16th . . . ). When you reach 21st Street, the last few turns you make depend on the day and time of day, as follows. Evenings and weekends, turn left at 21st Street and go a block and a half (passing Ninth Avenue): the entrance to the Seminary is located midblock on the south (left) side of 21st Street. Between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm during school days, don't turn onto 21st. Continue on 8th Avenue to 23rd Street and turn left. Go one block to Ninth Avenue, turn left on Ninth and go to 21st Street, where you turn right. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south (left) side of 21st Street.
From the East: From midtown bridges & tunnels, take 2nd Avenue south to 23rd Street, turn right (west) on 23rd Street to Ninth Avenue, turn left and, at 21st Street, turn right. The entrance to the Seminary is located midway down the block on the south (left) side of 21st Street.
Parking: There is some on-street parking and many local parking lots and garages (at City prices). Two of the closest are located at 23rd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues (in the London Terrace complex), and on 27th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.
GTS is an exciting community of teachers and learners committed to theological inquiry and the highest standards of scholarship. We value our diversity and the common life we share in Jesus Christ. To learn more about us we invite you to visit these areas of our website.
Officers of the Board of Trustees
New York, NY
Mr. F. T. Davis, Jr.
First Vice Chair
Senior Counsel, McKenna Long & Aldridge, LLP
The Rev. Canon Elizabeth Rankin Geitz (1993)
Second Vice Chair
The Rev. Charles (Chip) Connelly (2007)
Associate Rector and Chaplain,
St Johns, Tampa, FL
Ms. Constance White
Parishioner, Trinity Church
Mr. Sanders Davies
Partner, O'Connor, Davies, Munns & Dobbins, LLP
The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
Presiding Bishop, The Domestic and Foreign Mission Society
New York, NY
The Rev. Canon C.K. Robertson Ph.D.
Canon to the Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Domestic and Foreign Mission Society
New York, NY
Mr. Richard Ammons
Parishioner, Chapel of the Cross
Chapel Hill, NC
Mr. John H. Andren, Jr.
Trustee and Assistant Treasurer,
Trustees of the Estate Belonging to the Diocese of Long Island, Inc.
Garden City, NY
The Rev. Yamily Bass-Choate (1999)
The Rev. Michael Bird (1997)
Rector, Christ Church, Bronxville, NY
Rector, St. Alban's Episcopal Church
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Ms. Anne Clarke Brown (1990)
The Rt. Rev. Clifton Daniel, 3rd
Bishop, Diocese of Pennsylvania
Ms. Ramona M. Fantini
President, Pino Gelato
Hilton Head, SC
Mr. Bruce Garner
All Saints, Atlanta, GA
Dr. Michael F. Gilligan
President, The Henry Luce Foundation
New York, NY
Mr. Randall Ashley Greene (2007)
The Rev. Hopie Jernagan (2008)
Head Chaplain, Episcopal High School of Jacksonville
Atlantic Beach, FL
The Rev. Dr. Christoph Keller, III (2009)
Little Rock, AR
The Rt. Rev. W. Michie Klusmeyer (1980)
Ms. Melinda Lloyd
Managing Director, Neuberger Berman
New York, NY
The Rt. Rev. Steven Miller(1984)
Bishop, Diocese of Milwaukee
Ms. Joyce Coppin Mondesire
Faculty, City College of New York
New York, NY
The Re. Matthew Moretz (2006)
Associate Rector, St. Bartholomew's Episcopal CHurch
New York, NY
Mr. Jack Murray
Chairman, Murray Corporation
The Rev. Edward (Ned) S. Prevost (1970)
The Rt. Rev. Stacy Sauls (1988)
Chief Operating Officer
The Episcopal Church
The Rev. Dr. Ellen M. Sloan (2002)
Rector, St. Michael's and All Angels
Mr. Jeffrey P. Small, Jr.
CEO & Founder, MDH Partners
The Rt. Rev. William H. Stokes (1990)
Bishop, Diocese of New Jersey
The Rt. Rev. Eugene T. Sutton
Bishop of Maryland
The Rev. Ellen L. Tillotson (1983)
The Very Rev. Robert Giannini (1967)
Dean & Rector, Christ Church, retired, Canon Theologian, Diocese of Indianapolis
last revised: Dec. 6 2013