gts news

What are the semesters called at The General Theological Seminary?

A. Think of the acronym "M.E.E.T."

Michaelmas = Fall term

Epiphany = January term

Easter = Spring term

Trinity = Summer term

Which semesters do full-time tuition cover?

A. Full-time tuition is a minimum of 9 credits per term, and is for our regular [i.e. Michaelmas and Easter] terms.

Where can I find information about degrees offered at The General Theological Seminary?

A. Please check out our catalog. You can click on the "catalog" link at the top of nearly every page on our site.

I already have an outside email address. Do I have to use my email?

A: YES. The Registrar will always contact you via your email address, and you are also on campus email lists and will receive messages from the President, the Dean, your professor, the Business Office, and others on campus. You must check your email account, but not necessarily on the Google Apps webpage. You can set your GTS email to forward to a preferred account, and/or you can have GTS email go to a mail client on your computer/smartphone/other device.

How do I request a transcript?

A. You can request a transcript by completing the Transcript Request Form on the "Course Offerings & Registrar" page of our website.

What should I keep copies of?

A. You should keep a paper and electronic copy of any and all documents that you may need to refer to in the future - for example: Syllabi from GTS courses; Immunization reports; Transfer Memos or emails about credits; Transcripts from other schools you attended that you are transferring from, etc. Basically, if the document is given to, or sent from, the Academic Office, keep a copy.

What is 'CAMS' exactly?

A. CAMS is the name of our internal academic management system. Student-side, it's the MyGTS Portal. Faculty-side, it's the Faculty Portal.

Where can I find the Academic Calendar?

A: You can find the Academic Calendar within the catalog, at the "Academic Calendar" tab.

How do I register for a course?

A. Matriculated students register for courses through their MyGTS Portal during the Open Registration period, and then can make adjustments during the Add/Drop period. General Learners, or Part-time Non-degree students register using the "Take a Course" tab on the website.

I can't process my registration through MyGTS Portal. What can I do better?

A. If you are getting a notice about pop-ups, then you need to disable them on your browser. If you're using Safari, then click on "Safari" in the upper-right corner, "preferences," and uncheck the "Block Pop-up Windows" box. In Internet Explorer, Find "Tools" in the browser toolbar, then find "Pop-up Blocker," and then click on "Turn Off Pop-Up Blocker." Other browsers have similar processes. If you have further questions, please contact the IT Department.

Or - Perhaps you have not selected the term you want. Double check the term after you've logged in.

Where is my class located? 

A. The class locations are listed on the term's Course Schedule on the "Course Offerings & Registrar" page. The abbreviations are:

In Seabury Hall, on the west quad:

Sea-21st = Seabury Hall - 21st Street Room. Chapel-side entrance of Seabury Hall, 1st floor. This classroom faces West 21st Street.

Sea-Close = Seabury Hall - Close Room. Chapel-side entrance of Seabury Hall, 1st floor. This classroom faces the interior of the campus.

SeaAud = Seabury Hall Auditorium. Chapel-side entrance of Seabury Hall, 2nd floor.

In Sherred Hall, on the east quad:

SD-1A  = Sherred Hall, Classroom 1A. On the 1st floor.

SD-1B = Sherred Hall, Classroom 1A. On the 1st floor.

SD-2A = Sherred Hall, Classroom 2A. On the 2nd floor.

SD-2B = Sherred Hall, Classroom 2B. On the 2nd floor.

SD-3A = Sherred Hall, Classroom 3A. On the 3rd floor.

What is the Add/Drop period?

A: The Add/Drop period is the time when matriculated students can alter their schedule, with their advisor's permission, from within their MyGTS Portal. The Add/Drop period for each term is listed in the Academic Calendar, which you can find on the "Courses & Registrar" page of the website. Once the Add/Drop period ends, course changes must be made with permission from the students' advisor, and may be brought to the Academic Affairs Committee for approval.

I have a disability, and am new to GTS. -or- I am a student and was just diagnosed with a disability. What do I need to do?

A. We want you to perform to the best of your ability at The General Theological Seminary. Please review the document GTS Disability Policy on the "Course Offerings and Registrar" page of the website. Please complete the Disability Intake Form, follow the directions in the policy, and submit the paperwork to the Registrar.

How do I access the MyGTS Student Portal?

A. On the left-hand side of the website, there is a button called "My GTS." You can access your MyGTS Portal there.

How do I access the Faculty Portal?

A. Faculty can access their portals on the website, in the "Faculty and Administration" tab.

Who is my academic advisor?

A. Matriculated students can find the name of their academic advisor in their MyGTS Portal.

How can I access class syllabi?

A. Class syllabi are distributed by faculty at the beginning of term.

How do I find the book list for a course?

A. The book list is available on the "Course Offerings & Registrar" page before the next term begins. The Christoph Keller, Jr. Library also has a copy. Many instructors post their book lists and syllabi directly into the portals. You can access the documents when registered, if the instructor has posted them there.

I am a Master of Divinity or Master of Arts student. What is the difference between a thesis/project/paper?

A.  Theses, summative papers, and projects are opportunities for M.Div. and M.A. students to focus their attention in a particular area at the culmination of their studies. Theses are distinctive in making a scholarly contribution to a field of study. Students writing theses bear in mind that their work becomes a permanent part of The Christoph Keller, Jr. Library, available for consultation by future students, faculty, and other scholars.

  • For M.Div. students, undertaking a thesis represents a decision to study a particular area in what is otherwise a general professional degree. For M.A. students, the thesis is the culmination of study in the concentration that has characterized the student's entire program.
  • A summative paper is a piece of work in which a student integrates and sums up the learning of one's degree program in a paper on a particular topic. The emphasis of a summative paper is on the student's intetgration of learning rather then a scholarly contribution. These papers tend to be shorter than theses. A summative paper is not normally placed in The Christoph Keller, Jr. Library.
  • A project is a piece of work that combines scholarly research with application to a ministry setting, either hypothetical or real. In the case of an actual ministry setting, a project may describe the outcomes of the impletation of the project's proposals. Projects are placed in The Christoph Keller, Jr. Library.



How/When Do I submit my thesis?

A: Consult the Academic Regulations, on the "Course Offerings & Registrar" page of the website for all thesis questions. The guidelines on the thesis proposal forms are the guidelines that you must follow for formatting.



I need to request a Middler Evaluation/ Recommendation for Transitional Diaconate/ Recommendation for Priesthood. What do I do?

A. As stated in the "Guidelines for Recommendations and Student Evaluations," found on the "Course Offerings & Registrar" page of our website, you, as a student, are responsible for taking an active role in this part of your education and formation. Please read the "Guidelines for Recommendations and Student Evaluations" and prepare the "Request for Recommendation for Ordination" form. Follow the steps in the "Guidelines." A copy of the final letter will be emailed to you. If you want an official transcript included with the letter sent from GTS, mark that on the form, and on the transcript request.

NOTE: In the interest of ecology, we would prefer to send the required items to your diocese via email. If you recieve permission for this, please add the contact name and email address for us to the "Request for Recommendation for Ordination" form so we can create the confidential email and attachments.

How do I take classes as a General Learner (Part-time Non-Degree) student?

A. Welcome to General! "General Learners" (or "Part-time Non-Degree") students can register for classes using the "Take a Course" tab on the left-hand side of the website. Once your registration has been processed, you will receive a email address, a MyGTS Portal, and other information about attending General. Please note: Five for-credit students must enroll for an online course for it to be offered online.

What does it mean if I audit a class? Can I participate?

A. Many courses at General Seminary are open to auditors, that is, students who sit in on a class and do not receive academic credit. Participation varies by instructor and course. Please contact your instructor with any questions about level of participation. During the term of their course, auditors have borrowing privileges at The Christoph Keller, Jr. Library.


Why might a class be cancelled?

A. A class may be cancelled one (1) week before class begins if deemed infeasible. A notification will be given to registered students within 48 hours of cancellation. Please note: Five for-credit students must be enrolled in the course for any courses, including online courses, to be held.

I have taken some classes at General, and now I'd like to apply to be a matriculated student. What do I do?

A. Wonderful! Please check out the "Prospective Students" section of the website, and complete the "Planning to Apply" form. You can also contact the Admissions Office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I have several theology degrees. What can I apply to a degree at General?

A. The Academic Office can review theological credits that have not yet been applied to an earned degree. Please contact the Registrar for more information at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How do I register for Consortium Classes?

 A. Tuition and fees are covered in your GTS invoice - there are no additional fees for taking an approved class at a consortium school. Matriculated GTS students should contact the Registrar if they want to take a course at one of the consortium schools during a regular (i.e. Michaelmas or Easter) term. Please include the following information in your email, and the Registrar will contact you when your consortium registration is approved. The Registrar will then create the class for you in the GTS system, and enroll you for itl:

--Your name and email address

--The consortium school that you wish to attend

--When that school's registration period begins and ends

--The number of the course

--The name of the course

--The name of the faculty teaching the course

--If you need faculty permission, please send that to the registrar as well

Students who attend other schools in the consortium should contact their own Registrar, who will contact the Registrar at The General Theological Seminary directly.



I want to take a class in Epiphany or Trinity term, and I am a matriculated student. When/how do I register?

A: Please register for the Epiphany and Trinity classes through your MyGTS Portal when you register for the regular term's classes. If the MyGTS Portal is closed, contact the Registrar directly. Matriculated students pay for the Epiphany and Trinity course work credits separate from Michaelmas and Easter invoices.

How do my letter and GPA point grades match?

A. Alphabetical symbols and quantity point values are noted below:

A+  =  4.33; A  =  4.00; A-  =  3.67

B+  =  3.33; B  =  3.00; B-  =  2.67

C+  =  2.33; C  =  2.00; C-  =  1.67

D+  =  1.33; D  =  1.00; D-  =  0.67

F = 0.00

Where is the Registrar's office?

A: The Registrar's office is on the 2nd floor of Seabury Hall. Please stop by, or send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to make an appointment.

440 West 21st Street, New York City, NY 10011   |   tel (212) 243-5150  fax (212) 727-3907

The General Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church is a tax exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. security badge